Friday, December 2, 2011

Does a Bigger Zoom Mean Greater Appreciation for the Outdoors?

Well, perhaps not, but a new camera with a bigger zoom does mean I can better share some wonderful outdoor moments with friends and family.

My last little point-and-shoot camera had a 7x optical zoom and was really on its last legs. Ever since a long fall courtesy of my 18-month-old daughter, the battery cover won't stay closed any more. Even with tape, it still has to be held closed with a finger just so in order to take photos, view them, or transfer them to the computer. It was also starting to do funny things in bright-light or back-lit conditions.

For my birthday, my lovely husband gave me a new camera. It is still a point-and-shoot (for its small size, ease of use, and friendlier price point), but this one is definitely a step up from my previous camera. I am now the proud owner of a 16x optical zoom! I can't believe what a difference this makes. The camera also seems more responsive, blurs moving images less, and has a couple of neat features like auto background defocus.

I spent some time playing with it over the long Thanksgiving weekend and will share some of my favorite shots here. I'll try to keep them to outdoor/nature shots, but of course I have to slip in a few of our cute little toddler. :)

In the mornings, we took the dogs to play in the Santa Ynez River. Miss Pants (a nickname) loves being in the water and chasing after rocks. Bo Bo (also a nickname) prefers not to get his face wet and would rather stand on the sidelines or wade in ankle-deep water.





The vineyards along the road to the river were beautiful.




We took our daughter, AJ, to Solvang the day after Thanksgiving. It was a beautiful day, but the place was packed. We all managed to have a good time despite the crowds and I got a few good shots of the interesting architecture.






We visited Ostrichland in Beullton on the way to dinner at AJ Spurs. The ostriches were very impressive and, frankly, a little intimidating.



Oma and Opa agreed to babysit while my husband and I got out for some wine tasting in the Santa Rita Hills appellation. The shot below was at Babcock winery. I love the fall colors of the vines this time of year, and it's always so interesting to me that the different grape varietals change colors at different rates and in different shades. It makes for a lovely patchwork quilt of colors across the hills.




My husband had an opportunity to learn how to drive my dad's 1926 Model T Ford. He did a pretty good job. I spent my time taking photos of the T and house while playing with the auto background defocus.





Our daughter, AJ, had a great time visiting Oma and Opa. She especially liked riding in her pedal car.





No comments:

Post a Comment